True to one of its defining vision- To create a healthy, secular and democratic environment and community, which can nourish basic human values that mould an ideal citizen endowed with liberal and global thinking – Shri B.P.B.Arts And M.H.G.Commerce College has been striving towards the fulfilment of this vision and mission since its inception in 1965. Our institute through its social activities established a strong bond with the local community and popular for its humanitarian zeal in surrounding areas. College possesses a vibrant and active National Service Scheme (N.S.S.), National Cadet Corps (N.C.C.) Units which includes active volunteers and cadets always ready to serve the nation and society in any difficult circumstances.
The prime focus of the social and extension activities is to follow the institutional social responsibility and to inculcate the sense of social responsibility among students. Our college aims at multi-personality development of the students as it makes them excel not only in academic endeavors but also in other extracurricular activities. The underlying principle is to extend the activities of the college towards the benefit of the society. Socially beneficial activities are done in a locality which lies outside the college campus.
The Institution stands for a socially relevant education that awakens the students’ sense of social responsibility to reach out and share their knowledge and skills with more vulnerable sections of society. The vision of the college focuses on inculcating values of respect, commitment and concern for the service of others, thereby enabling students to make a positive contribution to the society in the 21st century, through their extension services and social outreach.
Through extension and outreach programs, we sensitize the students to develop social values, widespread their responsibilities and knowledge in societal issues and problems by making them to involve with the community people. Institute join hands with local community organizations to serve the community.
- Visits to old-age homes, orphanages, homes for the destitute women; Rural camps, community projects organized to help the society in different manner.
- Role-plays, street plays, skits, puppet shows, songs, dumb charades, games organized to transfer learning experiences from the classrooms to the community.
- Every year, institute adopts a particular village, undertakes a weekly off-campus workshop-shibir and render their social services to the community under “Village Adoption Program”. Apart from them, National Service Scheme and National Cadet Corp also serve the society through One-day and Special Camp. In addition, outreach programs and invited lectures are also organized to given to the community.
- Activities like Blood Donation Camps, Blind Day Fund Raising Drive, Cleanliness Camps organized in and surrounding areas of the city, Unjha.
- College also organized various social and community outreach activities under different Government initiatives like Swachha Bharata Abhiyan, Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat and Fit India Movement.
- Thalassemia Checkup Camps, Women Youth Cooperative Training Workshop, Breast Feeding Awareness Programmes, Water Conservation Rally, CPR Training workshop, Deaddiction Drives are organized in collaboration with local agencies and NGOs like Indian Red Cross Society, Inner Wheel Club, Lions Club, Rotary Club.
- Our volunteers not only served the surrounding areas but also helped and provided immediate help to the flood-affected areas of Banaskantha in the year 2017-18.
- The active group of dedicated volunteers are always eager to organize awareness camps, cleanliness drive, blood donation camps, de-addiction drives, tree plantation, rehabilitation and flood relief work, food and clothes distribution, medicines and water-bottle distribution, HIV-Aids awareness, Literacy Campaign, Street plays for health awareness etc.
- This unit also organizes a weekly Shibir (Off-Campus Workshop) in nearby villages every year. Till today, the unit has organized this kind of off-campus workshop-shibir in 34 villages. During these days of off-campus workshop, volunteers organize various social awareness activities and campaigns living among the villagers.
- It has very positive impact on the behavior of the students and their families. They are working as our goodwill ambassadors in the society. Women Cell, ‘Gender Sensitization Programme’ was organized. In this unique event, all nearby Women’s Self-Help Groups’ were invited.
- College has taken a novel initiative of creating environmental awareness in surrounding areas. College initiated Cleanliness Drives, Health Checkup Camps, Tree Plantation programmes, Water Conservation Rally, Drawing Competition on ‘Save Energy’, etc.
- A series of Lectures was organized on ‘SAVE ENVIRONMENT SAVE NATION. During this the green man of the Global Green Peace Mission Shree Vijaypal Badol was present and explained the significance of environment and for that he advised to go for social afforestation. Shree Badol has been on the walking tours of the 1600 kms long regions encompassing the 28 districts of four states of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Delhi and Haryana.
- College organized elocution competition as a part of the campaign of ‘Ek Bharat: Shreshth Bharat’ At the end of the competition the oaths of cleanliness were taken by the students.
- College organized Samvedana Project on 07th Spt, 2018, with an aim to connect our students to deprived counterparts and value whatever they have and feel the bliss of giving. Samvedna signifies empathy. It was an effort to feel the pain and adversities of each underprivileged person. Students visited Old Age Home, cleaned the campus. They also talked with senior citizens about their personal life and issues. Students planted trees and distributed kit of essential to them.
- In collaboration with Mangal Jivan trust, College developed an Herbal Garden. College distributes the medicinal and herbal plants, leaves and roots among local community for medicinal purpose, without any charge. Thus, the College garden has become an easy source of getting herbal medicines for local community.
- College plays a pivotal role in creating social awareness for many governmental schemes and initiatives. College regularly organizes Voters Awareness Campaign, Voting List Correction Drives, Young Voters Awareness camps in collaboration with Office of the District Chief Executive Magistrate.
Thus, this long tradition of social service by the unit makes it a prestigious and popular unit of the college. People of different villages know them personally as they have connected with them emotionally. Because of the philanthropic and social activities, our college has become a distinct and unique institute of the region which is very near to the people’s heart in their days of distress and happiness.